Joel Bernstein I focus my practice exclusively on estate planning with wills and trusts. I take special care to listen carefully to your individual situation and craft the right legal documents for you.
It's important that you are able understand your own legal documents. I'm known as an expert in writing clearly and concisely in Plain English instead of legalese.
Estate planning is for everyone
Estate planning is for everyone, not just the wealthy. You benefit from having the right legal documents for your individual and unique situation.
- Living revocable trusts offer maximum flexibility and first-level tax savings.
- Irrevocable trusts offer advanced Massachusetts and Federal estate and income tax planning.
- Wills allow you to name guardians for minor children.
Our services include:
- reviewing your existing estate planning documents, if you have any.
- writing estate planning documents (wills, trusts, health care proxy, power of attorney) for your individual situation.
- helping you keep your estate planning up-to-date as your life changes.
- helping you handle wills and trusts during the stressful time after a death.
Our legal documents are:
- timely: usually ready in 3 weeks.
- written in Plain English.
- designed for longevity.
If you have children
Your estate plan needs to be reflective of your family status.
As part of a will, you can name a guardian who will have custody of your child if something happens to you and your spouse.
It may also make sense for you to add a trust to the will. You may wish to postpone access to certain trust assets until your child turns a certain age (such as 18 or 30) or if your child has an issue which prevents responsible money management (cognitive issues, addiction, and so forth).
If you do not have children
Estate planning is a bit different when you do not have children. You must think a bit harder as to whom will inherit your assets.
You will want to think about your family and friends and who you would like to receive your worldly goods.
You may also wish to leave assets to charities.
Joel on video
This August 2016 video introduces Joel and his practice. Watch Joel discuss: